The MobileFrontend extension - do we actually like it? Do we even need it?

So, on the the wiki we have enabled a MobileFrontend extension.
It’s a nice piece of code that detects if user visits the wiki from a phone, tablet, or other mobile device, and shows it to them with 2 changes:

• changes skin (theme) to one defined in config - currently by default Minerva Neue
  • repaces some layout elements on some of the pages

Of course the idea is nice, to display a lighter and better suited to handheld devices to visitors who might need it, but honestly recently it starts to piss me off…
It replaces some pages - esp. preferences/config and other things useful for editing - with versions that seriously lack functionality.
So, I’d like to propose removing it, and instead using one of the styles that are prepared for mobile; we have installed right now Skin:Citizen - MediaWiki (my personal favourite) and https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Timeless, which both work really well both on desktop and mobile.
To try them out you can either select one of them on your user settings page, or simply
click here to check out Timeless or click here to give a try to Citizen

There’s also a whole lot of mobile ready skins available.

What do you think?

I guess if removing the extension doesn’t decrease the user experience on mobile, then there is no reason to keep it.
But we have to keep in mind that the wiki is mainly for readers, not for editors. So if the extension benefits the readers then I’d keep it.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I wanted to ask for community opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like