Questions about Bookwyrm

Topic to ask and answer questions about Bookwyrm

1 Like

Is it only possible to import books from the other “usual” Sites yet? If so Bookwyrm seems pretty useless in my opinion.

I do believe it’s possible to add books manually.

For csv imports, which are how you get your personal metadata (such as dates your read a book, reviews) from some other service, there are a few commonly-requested csv formats that are explicitly supported: Goodreads, LibraryThing, and StoryGraph. I recently re-wrote the importer, so in reality it’s actually much more flexible and can, in theory, read an arbitrary csv file, but the are a couple more changes I need to add to make that a proper feature.

Adding a book to BookWyrm (as opposed to loading your personal history with that book) is a separate process. Book data is sourced from OpenLibrary, Inventaire, other BookWyrm instances, and users manually adding books.

2 Likes

(Just for future reference, while I happened to see this question promptly, I don’t check this forum regularly, so if you have a question about bookwyrm that you would like to hear back from me or anyone else who is developing the project, feel free to reach out on mastodon at @bookwyrm@tech.lgbt, in our matrix chat, or via the issue tracker)

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast answer. I like the idea a lot! I joined the matrix room so I’ll ask my „technical“ questions over there in the future.

1 Like