Let's start the #FediVolution2022

Hi! :blush:
So, I actually have plans regarding Fedi this coming year!

• I would like to migrate my instance, https:/fedi.lewactwo.pl from Glitchsoc to Ecko, which I found lately and which seems to me like an awesome idea
  • I want to help develop Ecko as much as my skill set will allow[^1]
  • I want to help with this really cool Web client that I found few days ago[^2] DashboardFE
  • I would like to translate @paula’s fediverse howtos, if she’ll allow me to
  • I’m wondering about some popularising project in my native language (Polish)

[^1]: I have almost absolutely no programming skills, so I won’t be developing any new code soon, but I’m a graphic/UX designer and I really enjoy writing howtos, FAQs and documentation, so maybe I can help that way :slight_smile:
[^2]: daisuke/DashboardFE: A frontend for Mastodon/Pleroma with heavy inspiration from the tumblr user dashboard. - NotABug.org: Free code hosting

6 Likes

Good plans.

How do you plan on doing that? Create a new instance and tell people to migrate there or is there some way to “sidegrade” an instance to different software?

Sure, go for it :+1:

It is actually possible to move from glitch-soc to Ecko with a bit of command line magic :wink: I already tested it and seems to work, I’ll write it down as soon as it succeeds on live instance to include into Ecko documentation, so I’ll share it then; basically you can just migrate database and media from one to another without major problems.
Ed.:
IT WORKED!!!

1 Like

Congrats.
I see you already added your instance to the list too: https://github.com/magicstone-dev/ecko/wiki/Public-Instances :+1:

Yeah, I was browsing the repository so I already did :slight_smile:

1 Like

So going back to a hashtag that we launch yearly… it would be nice if we turned that into something of a tradition and connected the hashtag to something actually meaningful and actionable. A theme to address for that year, and a hashtag that is more broadly used rather than very seldom by a few people.

#YearOfTheFediverse doesn’t cut it then. It is already used, and can be seen as the kick-off of this tradition. Let’s brainstorm some other hashtags…

What do we want to achieve?

• A healthy evolution of the Fediverse with more fine fedizens participating and more apps to choose from.
  • Tapping into fedi’s potential (as a delicious social fabric, where many apps seamlessly integrate together).
  • Going beyond microblogging (which already a well-settled use case, but we risk to get ‘bogged down’ in it).

Some ideas:

• #2022 #FediverseSocialForYou
  • #YearOfSocialReimagination
  • #FediBreaksTheWall
1 Like

Hm, what I come up quickly is:

• #FediLution2022
  • #FediVolution2022
  • #ImagineFediverse
  • #FediVision2022 (as in: not quite perfect vision)
  • #FediTogether
  • #FediverseRising
  • #ANewFedi
  • #TheFediverseStrikesBack
  • #ReturnOfTheFedi
  • #TheFediAwakens
  • #TheLastFedi
3 Likes

Wonderful list. I like this one best:

Some more:

#GetFediReal
#FediReality

Sometimes I find it a pity that we are so stuck with the term ‘federated’ and fedi this, fedi that… Like Fediverse is a bit of a techinical term, right? Like similar to “internet” and “Web”. Those are really universal names and there’s nothing distinguishing to them anymore. Fediverse should be common, well-trodden ground like that too. But then we need a new name for the phenomenon of using it / being on it / participating in this social fabric.

#TheSociosphere? idk…

2 Likes

I like FediVolution2022 too.

3 Likes

Maybe we should think rather in terms of a “call to action”? As our goal seems to be creating kind of a movement - mobilizing a bunch of people to get together and do something.
I thought about some that could be apropriate for promoting fediverse among “regular users”:

#goFedi or #justGoFedi is my personal favourite, as we could actually build a coherent campaign around it :wink: Imagine kind of “posters” kept in one design system, saying, idk, “Another random ban on Facebook? #JustGoFedi”, “Agressive people on Twitter again? #JustGoFedi”, and so on. There is even domain available gofedi.com / gofedi.org, which could serve as the campaign’s central hub, with FAQ, “Getting started” docs and maybe list of some more interesting nodes.

Another one could be simply #Federate or #FederateNow, you know, like in “Are you tired by ambiguous community standards? #Federatenow” and similar.

And last thing that I came up with is #FediDoesItBetter :wink: You know, a bit confrontational, but also more informative - posting some real use cases and short answers for the key question, that is, “Why should I switch to federated social media?”. Things like, i.e.

This October because of #facebook blackout people around the world didn’t have access not only to their friends’ updates, but also instant messages on #whatsapp and #messenger and pictures on #instagram for seven hours. Why it happened? Because one company owns all this services. #FediDoesItBetter

BTW, the idea of making a unified promo campaign came upon me after reading piece on possible “Fediverse Foundation” here: Positioning and purpose of Fediverse Town community forum

5 Likes

I like your way of thinking about using hashtags. Like that:

JustGoFedi is really cool, even if it sounds a bit Nike-ish. :wink:

Let’s JustDoIt :wink:
A Fediverse Foundation by the people, for the people.

PS: On the other hand #JustGoFedi could more be a general hashtag that is used forever, not necessarily restricted to one year.

3 Likes

Nice inspiration @makarygo … some more: #GoFediGo, #BetterFediTogether.

I think the last one would be good for a yearly campaign. The reason why I was sceptical about our YearOfTheFediverse hashtag, because we could have reached so much more if there was more collaboration. “Better fedi together” is like let’s stick together and make better fedi.

#JustGoFedi is long-stay hashtag indeed.

1 Like

It would have fit better in 2018 I guess.

https://joinfediverse.wiki/index.php?title=History_of_the_Fediverse

2 Likes

Okay, not long until 2022, so let’s make a poll for the Hashtag.
You can choose up to 5 Hashtags.

• YearOfBonding
  • FediverseSocialForYou
  • FediVolution2022
  • FediVision2022
  • FediTogether
  • FediverseRising
  • GetFediReal
  • FediReality
  • GoFedi
  • JustGoFedi
  • Federate
  • FederateNow
  • FediDoesItBetter
  • GoFediGo
  • BetterFediTogether

0 voters

1 Like

Going to keep focusing on growing the Magic Stone community to the hopeful benefit of its members, users of open source software and of the fediverse.

Also get this crazy feeling that we’re not done forking stuff. :mage: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ahum… the poll is well underway, but I was just inspired to something that I think I will use one way or the other. See #SocialFabric, #PeopleVerse to distinguish from #Web3 and #MetaVerse? - #2 by aschrijver for some of the hashtags I will use in 2022.

I think what we are fighting for as people is to regain our Agency in a time where toxic trends in society continuously work to erode it.

#RegainOurAgency

A rallying cry to remind people that we must fight all together to retain and increase control over our destiny as human beings. And that that means addressing the Achilles Heel and weaknesses of fediverse that most fedizens understimate, imho.

Agency (philosophy):

• the capacity of an actor to act in a given environment.
  • an individual engaging with the social structure.

Agency (sociology):

• the capacity of individuals to act independently and to make their own free choices.
  • one’s independent capability or ability to act on one’s will.
1 Like

Short personal thought: Should we consider specifically which groups of people could be interested in the #fediverse and which approaches might be needed to motivate them? Like: Artists, musicians, students, architects (software, buildings), biologists, researchers in general,…? Just looking at people in my filter bubble for now…

3 Likes

Since we have a tie on the first 3 hashtags I gave another shout on fedi to vote on the poll: Humane Tech Now: "End of year is approaching, dear fedizens. In th…" - Mastodon

1 Like

So I spend little more than half an hour and just tooted an image I created with some of the hashtags above. This version is higher-res, CC0.

Update: Also posted all across Lemmy’s fedi-related communities: https://lemmy.ml/post/131681

3 Likes

Damn, just posting this all around and now realizing that I’d better used the rainbow colors in this :dizzy_face: Something more to do…

Update: Fixed that for ya…

2 Likes